Saturday, June 2, 2012

Little Mermaid Amigurumi

Mermaid by Julia Cate Handmade
Mermaid, a photo by Julia Cate Handmade on Flickr.

This doll was made for another competition at Worth1000.com for a contest themed "Literary Characters". She placed first.

I just started crocheting and made her up as I went along. I'm working on a written pattern for this doll now. She has a TON of worsted weight ringlets, which I will never do again. Not only is it time consuming, but her head is twice as heavy as her body and it flops terribly. I'll use DK or fingering weight next time.

Her eyes are plastic safety eyes backed with a ring of sc in blue cotton thread. Her bosom is shaped by embroidering a dart in the center. Made in one piece except the top, which ties on in the back.

She turned out so beautifully, she made the perfect Christmas present for my then youngest niece, Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment