Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Poirot Gang WIP

The Gang without hats

I'll post more of past projects soon, but here's what has been consuming my time lately. Agatha Christie has been one of my favorite authors since I was a child, and the TV series is one of my favorites, too. I have several of the seasons on DVD. And for a while now I've been wanting to tackle the whole project of creating dolls for each of the characters. The only one missing here is Chief Inspector Japp, who is in the idea stage right now.

Poirot came first. He still lacks sleeves on his jacket and his accessories, but he's mostly finished. Next came Hastings. I wanted to contrast him with Poirot by making him long and lanky. He's a little more "Woody-from-Toy-Story" than I was going for, but I like how he turned out. He still needs pants, shoes, a tie and a mouth. But I got impatient, and started on Miss Lemon before finishing either of the men. I'm pleased with her poseable head and arms. The head join technique is explained in nice pictorial detail at byhookbyhand.blogspot.com. She can look from side to side and up and down. Her arms are joined at the shoulder with safety eyes. I'm really pleased with her hair, though. Her wig cap is a circle of half double crochet worked into the back post loop. Not the back loop of the top of the stitch, it's the top loop on the post back. This leaves the entire top of the stitch unworked and looks like tiny braids close to the head. Her pincurls are simple chain stitch, and her buns are corkscrew curls wound up and sewn through all thicknesses. I'm planning to add a mouth, jewelry, shoes and embroidery to her dress.

Here are some in-progress pictures. The full set is at Flickr - just click the images to get there. Enjoy!


The Poirot Gang thus far (with hats) Poirot so far Captain Hastings so far Captain Hasting's head, side Miss Lemon, so far Back of Miss Lemon's head Closeup of pincurl bangs

1 comment: